Date published: 1 January 2020
Sexual Health West is a charity which provides a safe and welcoming environment for everyone with whom it works. Our office is based in Galway.
Our Mission is to:
- Deliver the highest quality care and support to people living with HIV, AIDS or STIs.
- Empower those living with HIV to optimise their health and well being
- Raise awareness around HIV, AIDS, and STI issues and work to eradicate stigma and discrimination
- Promote positive sexual health without prejudice or discrimination.
Deliver the highest quality care and support to people living with HIV AIDs or STIs
- To offer emotional/psychological support to people living with HIV AIDS or STIs according to their stated needs and to the ability of Sexual Health West to deliver those supports.
- Support may be by telephone, email, or by face-to-face meetings with the coordinator.
- Telephone Helpline support may be offered by other Sexual Health West staff.
- Support groups or ‘buddying’ by similarly affected people may be offered.
- Respite weekends may be offered to people living with HIV AIDs or STIs and their carers.
- If deeper psychological support is needed the person may be referred to a psychotherapist.
- Support may also be offered to a person who makes contact who is experiencing a sexual health crisis or problem.
- Offer practical assistance to people living with HIV AIDs or STIs e.g. in finding suitable accommodation or in obtaining social welfare benefits,
- Provide complementary/holistic therapies for the physical/holistic wellbeing of the person affected.
To Empower Those Living With HIV To Optimise Their Health And Wellbeing
- Workshops on different aspects of personal development facilitated by experienced practitioners will be offered from time-to-time to the HIV+ people who use the Sexual Health West Care and Support services.
- Workshop topics will include areas such as :
- Improving self-esteem
- Fighting against stigma
- Campaigning for the best possible support services and treatments
- We will raise public awareness of HIV, AIDS, STIs and sexual health through awareness campaigns, provision of information material, use of different media, seminars, the publication of a newsletter and public events.
- Provide a confidential Helpline Information Service on HIV, AIDS, STIs and sexual health matters.
- Publish a quarterly newsletter “Happiness is vital”
- Ongoing use of technology to provide information on HIV, AIDS, STIs and sexual health such as maintaining up to date information on our website www.sexualhealthwest.ie and App.
- Draft and publish leaflets, posters, brochures and booklets on sexual health matters for information and distribution to health clinics, doctors surgeries, seminars, conferences etc.
Promote Positive Sexual Health
- We will enhance sexual well-being by the provision of responsive and innovative training programmes to schools, community groups, youth organizations etc and work in conjunction with state agencies to provide these programmes where appropriate.
- We will provide outreach programmes for at-risk groups i.e. gay community, asylum seekers, prisoners plus many others in the form of education, support, advice and provision of free condoms
- We will provide outreach services to young people who are potentially at risk and who are not in contact with other services.
- We will work with the Western Region Drugs & Alcohol Task Force (WRDATF) to deliver holistic educational programmes which link sexual health with drug and alcohol abuse.
- Participate in Research on sexual health, disease prevention and best care practice.
- Participate in national/local meetings and networks/associations in order to develop and maintain models of practice.
- Work with HSE and community groups in the development and delivery of “Train the Trainers” programmes to schools, community groups etc.